The Joint Advanced Warfighting Division (JAWD) focuses on the needs of the joint force and, in particular, the future joint force commander.
Mission: Provide analytic support to warfighters to develop and discover new and innovative approaches & capabilities to address new and emerging military challenges.
Vision: Focus on Joint Experimentation and Defense Innovation (JEDI) with a diverse interdisciplinary team of operational and technical analysts from across IDA as well as from our extensive network of subject matter experts.
JAWD researchers work in eclectic teams at the intersection of challenges that are often bureaucratically stove piped but operationally intertwined. JAWD’s research portfolio is not fixed but instead seeks to work across four general focus areas in the execution of its mission.
Division Research Focus Areas
Joint Discovery Experimentation Lab
- Collaborative, Interdisciplinary, multi-tooled, multi-methodology & multi-venue
Dynamic Red Teaming
- Full-Spectrum Red Teaming, including: Adversary Emulation, Critical Analysis,Team B Analysis, & Risk/Vulnerability Assessments
Broad-Spectrum Horizon Scanning
- Across a wide range of trends, discontinuities, & issues beyond traditional defense
Comprehensive Lessons for Applied Learning
- Learning from experience & history to avoid repeating mistakes or “reinventing wheels”
Recent JAWD Projects:
- Legal, Moral, & Ethical Considerations for the Urban Reconnaissance through Supervised Autonomy Program (DARPA/TTO)
- Personnel Recovery Experimentation (USAF/ACC)
- Combatant Command - Joint Analytic Support (USINDOPACOM)
- Dynamic Red Teaming (OSD)
- Analytic Support to National Guard Bureau (NGB)
- Analytic Support to Office of Net Assessment (ONA)
- Theater History of Operations Report Database & Visualization
- Red Team Critical Analysis of National Defense Strategy (OSD/P)
- Independent Review of COCOM Organization (OSD/P)
- Analytic Support to Close Combat Lethality Task Force (OSD/P&R)
- Models and Simulation Gap Analysis (OSD/R&E)
- Navy Experimentation (USN/NWDC)
- USMC Machine Learning Strategy (USMC/MCWL)
- Army National Guard Readiness (NGB)