The Larry D. Welch Award is named in honor of former IDA president and U.S. Air Force (USAF) Chief of Staff, General Larry D. Welch, USAF (retired). The annual award recognizes IDA researchers who exemplify General Welch’s high standards of analytic excellence through their external publication in peer-reviewed journals or other professional publications, including books and monographs. The articles in this issue of IDA Research Notes are summaries derived from the winner and finalists in the 2018 Larry D. Welch Award competition.
- Deterrence Is Not a Credible Strategy for Cyberspace (and What Is)
- Brief History of Federal Involvement in Space Weather Forecasting
- Analysis of an Alternative Military Health Benefit Design
- Effects of Violence on Voter Turnout in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Power Approximations for Generalized Linear Models Using the Signal-to-Noise Transformation Method
- The Threat Detection System That Cried Wolf: Reconciling Developers with Operators
- Winning Indefinite Conflicts: Achieving Strategic Success against Ideologically Motivated Violent Non-State Actors